Health Tip: When It's Time for a Tonsillectomy08/05/10
(HealthDay News) -- Tonsillectomy, a surgical procedure to
remove the tonsils, is a common treatment for frequent infections
of these glands, located in the back of the mouth.
The U.S. National Library of Medicine says possible warning
signs that a tonsillectomy is needed include:
- Persistent bouts with inflamed tonsils (tonsillitis).
- Tonsillitis that doesn't get better with antibiotics.
- Tonsils that grow large enough to touch each another.
- An abscess that forms around one or both tonsils.
- Persistent middle ear infections.
Copyright © 2010
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.