Health Tip: Is Knee Replacement Safe?08/24/10
(HealthDay News) -- Knee replacement surgery may be a solution
for disabling arthritis, pain caused by other medical problems, or
a tumor affecting the knee.
But if you've got certain risk factors, your doctor may advise
against the surgery, the U.S. National Library of Medicine says.
Here are some examples:
- Having an infection affecting the knee.
- Being morbidly obese.
- Having very weak muscles at the front of the thigh, making it
difficult to walk.
- Being severely mentally impaired.
- Having insufficient blood flow to the leg, which could prevent
- Having terminal cancer that continues to spread.
Copyright © 2010
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.