Health Tip: Keep Baby Safe Around Stairs08/30/10
(HealthDay News) -- As babies crawl and toddlers toddle around
the house, the stairs become a dangerous hazard.
The Nemours Foundation suggests how to prevent accidents
- Don't allow a baby or young child to be near the stairs
unsupervised, even with a gate installed.
- Get rid of loose toys, clothes and other clutter on the
- Cover wide spaces on banisters and railings with a guard.
- Install a safety gate at the top and bottom of stairs; opt for
one that's mounted with hardware, rather than a pressure-mounted
- Don't use an accordion-style gate; your child's head can get
stuck in one.
- Once he or she is old enough, show your little one how to
safely get down the stairs backward.
Copyright © 2010
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.