Health Tip: What Causes Conjunctivitis09/15/10
(HealthDay News) -- Conjunctivitis occurs when the membrane that
protects the eye, the conjunctiva, becomes inflamed. A red, watery
eye is a primary symptom of this very contagious condition.
The University of Virginia Health System says possible causes of
- An viral or bacterial infection.
- An allergic reaction, often to a seasonal allergen.
- Irritation from air pollutants or smoke.
- Irritation from soap, chlorine or cosmetics.
- Irritation from a chemical that makes contact with the
Copyright © 2010
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.