Health Tip: Ease Hammertoe Pain09/29/10
(HealthDay News) -- A hammertoe is an abnormal bending of a toe
at the joint, which often causes pain when footwear touches the top
of the bent toe. Women are affected more often than men.
The American Podiatric Medical Association suggests how to help
alleviate the pain of a hammertoe:
- Protect the toe with a non-medicated pad designed for
- Choose shoes that offer plenty of room in the toe area.
- Place an ice pack over the area that's painful or swollen.
- Wear shoes with a heel no higher than two inches.
- Wear shoes that fit loosely and aren't too narrow.
Copyright © 2010
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.