Health Tip: Help Keep Feet Healthy10/06/10
(HealthDay News) -- Your feet have a weighty responsibility, so
treat them right to help keep them healthy.
The American Podiatric Medical Association offers these
suggestions for taking care of your tootsies:
- Make sure your shoes fit correctly and comfortably; those that
have a soft upper area and a sturdy sole are best.
- Go shoe shopping later in the day, when feet are more swollen
than in the morning.
- Walking is a great form of exercise for your feet.
- Make sure stockings and pantyhose fit correctly, and choose
those without seams.
- Don't try to cut off corns or calluses on your own; see a
podiatrist for treatment.
- Keep toenails trimmed in a straight line.
- Scrub your feet each day in warm water and gentle soap, and
give them a careful once-over to look for foot problems.
Copyright © 2010
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.