Health Tip: Help Prevent Gymnastics Injuries10/25/10
(HealthDay News) -- Gymnastics can lead to injury without some
preparation. In 2007, more than 69,000 kids under age 14 were
treated for gymnastics-related medical problems, the American
Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons says.
The academy suggests how to help gymnasts ward off injury:
- Always stretch and warm up the muscles before a workout.
- The gym should have a padded floor and equipment that is well
- Gymnasts should always wear routine-appropriate footwear.
- Use protective gear, such as braces for the joints and special
belts to protect the joints and torso.
- Always have a spotter while practicing.
Copyright © 2010
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.