Antifreeze a Sweet But Lethal Drink for Pets10/29/10
FRIDAY, Oct. 29 (HealthDay News) -- It's a fatal attraction:
puddles of sweet-tasting antifreeze on driveways and garage floors
are hard for thirsty pets to resist.
Just one teaspoon of ethylene glycol -- the toxic ingredient
found in antifreeze -- is deadly to a 10-pound cat, and about five
tablespoons will kill a Labrador retriever if the antidote isn't
given in time, say veterinary toxicologists.
"The most important thing to know about antifreeze is you have a really narrow window for treatment," said veterinarian Dr. Justine Lee, associate director of Pet Poison Helpline, a call center staffed by animal health care professionals who provide treatment advice to owners nationwide.
The antidote must be given to dogs within eight hours after
ingestion and cats within three hours, she said. Otherwise, the
pet's chances of survival are slim.
The most common source of ethylene glycol is automotive engine
antifreeze or coolant. The toxic substance is also found in some
air conditioners, imported snow globes, paints, solvents, and color
film processing solutions.
Cabin owners in colder regions of the country frequently put
antifreeze in toilets to prevent the pipes from freezing while the
vacation home is unoccupied. "We see a lot of toxicities here in
Minnesota from dogs running into cabins and drinking out of the
toilet," Lee said.
Initially, animals appear drunk after imbibing antifreeze.
Warning signs include staggering, lethargy, increased thirst,
vomiting and possible seizures, explained Dr. Camille DeClementi, a
veterinarian and board-certified veterinary toxicologist who serves
as a senior director for the American Society for the Prevention of
Cruelty to Animals' Animal Poison Control Center.
However, that drunken state is short-lived, she noted, and it
may appear as though the pet is recovering when he or she is
actually in grave danger: Internal damage is worsening as abnormal
crystals form in the kidney, ultimately causing the organ to shut
"Once an animal has already gone into kidney failure, there is almost nothing you can do," Lee explained.
If caught in time, she said, the prognosis for recovery is
excellent. A blood test confirms if an animal has antifreeze
poisoning and whether treatment is needed. Owners should expect a
72-hour hospital stay for poisoned pets, along with a high
veterinary bill. Treatment for a medium-sized dog, for example,
runs between $2,000 and $2,500.
A better alternative is to protect your pet from accidental
exposure in the first place by immediately washing antifreeze
spills off driveways and keeping automotive products high on
shelves out of reach.
More than a dozen states -- including Arizona, California and
New Jersey -- now require manufacturers to add a bittering agent to
antifreeze to deter children and pets from drinking it.
However, the ASPCA says there's no published data demonstrating
that adding a bittering agent to antifreeze effectively works in
repelling dogs, and such products may give pet owners a false sense
A safer alternative is antifreeze containing propylene glycol,
which veterinary toxicologists say is still poisonous to pets if
large enough quantities are ingested, but it is less likely to kill
There's more on poisoning threats to your pets at the
Copyright © 2010
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.