Health Tip: Don't Ignore Fingernail
(HealthDay News) -- An abnormality in all or some of your
fingernails can signal a potentially serious medical condition.
The U.S. National Library of Medicine offers these examples:
- Sunken areas on the fingernail can signal malnourishment.
- An abnormal shape to the fingernail, with ridges and an inward
curve, can signal iron deficiency anemia.
- White flecks in the nail can indicate leukonychia, which could
be caused by factors including zinc deficiency or heavy metal
- An abnormal color or tenderness could indicate an infection,
often caused by fungus or yeast.
- Streaks of blood in the nail can signal an infection, notably
effecting heart valves.
Copyright © 2010
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.