Health Tip: Having Diabetes Can Hurt Your Eyes12/03/10
(HealthDay News) -- Having too much sugar in your blood can
injure many parts of the body, including your heart, kidneys --
even your eyes.
The U.S. National Diabetes Information Clearinghouse offers
these suggestions for preventing eye problems if you're
- Follow the diet recommended by your doctor or dietitian.
- Get at least 30 minutes of exercise each day.
- Take your diabetes meds as prescribed.
- Monitor your blood sugar and blood pressure often. Do your best
to keep them under control.
- Get an annual eye exam.
- Get your eyes checked for glaucoma and cataracts.
- See your eye doctor within the first trimester of
- Don't smoke.
Copyright © 2010
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.