Health Tip: Your Mouth is a Health Barometer12/16/10
(HealthDay News) -- Oral health problems, such as gum disease or
mouth sores, can be related to other health issues.
The womenshealth.gov Web site says these health conditions often
are related to oral health problems:
- Cancer treatments, which can cause mouth sores and mouth
- Diabetes, which can affect the gums.
- HIV, which can cause pain in the mouth and loss of taste.
- Nutritional deficiencies, as difficulty eating can lead to
- Heart disease patients may require special precautions, such as
taking an antibiotic to prevent infection before a dental
Copyright © 2010
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.