Health Tip: Lift Luggage Without Injury12/30/10
(HealthDay News) -- Whether you're dragging out suitcases for a
vacation of your own, or hauling someone else's overstuffed bags,
proper lifting techniques can protect you from a back injury.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these
suggestions for packing and lifting luggage:
- Try not to overpack, and opt for suitcases with wheels.
- Be careful when storing your bag overhead. Use both hands to
carefully lift the bag over your head.
- Make several trips from the car, rather than carrying too much
at once. Ask for help if you need it.
- Lift heavy objects by bending at the knees and using your legs,
rather than your waist and back.
- Don't twist your spine as you lift.
Copyright © 2010
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.