Health Tip: Kick Up Your Feet01/19/11
(HealthDay News) -- Varicose veins are swollen, bulging veins --
usually in the legs. They can make standing and other activities
Although not all cases are preventable, the womenshealth.gov Web
site suggests how to help thwart varicose veins:
- Apply sunscreen to your skin daily.
- Get regular exercise to help make your legs stronger and
improve circulation. Concentrate on activities that benefit the
- Maintain a healthy body weight.
- Don't cross your legs, and elevate your legs when you can.
- Move around frequently, avoiding long periods of sitting or
- Don't wear clothes that are too tight. Also avoid high-heeled
- Wear elastic support stockings.
- Eat more fiber to help prevent constipation, which can trigger
varicose veins. Also, cut back on salt in your diet.
Copyright © 2011
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.