Health Tip: After You Have Knee Surgery01/24/11
(HealthDay News) -- During surgery to reconstruct a damaged
anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), a new ligament is attached to the
Your doctor should send you home with instructions for what to
do while you recover.
The ADAM Encyclopedia's suggestions for recovery from ACL
surgery include the following:
- Rest as much as you can with your leg elevated on a couple of
pillows placed beneath your calf muscle or foot.
- Keep the dressing on your knee dry.
- Don't use a heating pad on the knee.
- If recommended by your doctor, wear a supportive stocking to
help decrease the risk of blood clots.
- Do any exercises recommended by your doctor to help improve
circulation and reduce blood-clot risk.
- If so directed by your doctor, use crutches and wear a
supportive knee brace.
- Physical therapy may be prescribed as soon as two weeks after
Copyright © 2011
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.