Health Tip: Teach Kids About Portion Control02/09/11
(HealthDay News) -- Whopping portion sizes are a big reason for
why people overeat. But if you teach your children about
appropriate portion sizes, they may be more likely to stick to
healthy portions into adulthood.
The Nemours Foundation offers these suggestions:
- Put meals on smaller plates so that the portion appears
- Divide snacks into small portions, instead of sending your
child off to snack with the whole bag.
- Separate leftovers into small portion sizes, instead of storing
them in larger containers.
- Serve food away from the table, which may limit family members
from going back for seconds.
- Produce single-serving foods to help your children visualize
what an appropriate serving is.
- Eat meals slowly, and make sure they contain plenty of fruits
- Split orders at a restaurant.
- Skip the plus-sized value meals at fast-food eateries.
Copyright © 2011
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.