Health Tip: Don't Ignore Ingrown Toenail02/10/11
(HealthDay News) -- If you have a toenail that's expanded
beneath the skin, no doubt it's become sore and painful and needs
If you have poor circulation or diabetes, seek prompt medical
treatment. But even if you don't have these medical problems, don't
ignore an ingrown toenail.
The ADAM Encyclopedia offers these home-treatment
- Soak the toe in warm water three to four times each day.
- When you're not soaking, keep your feet dry.
- Carefully massage the area that's inflamed.
- Slide a piece of dental floss or cotton, soaked with a little
antiseptic or water, underneath the nail.
- Consider using over-the-counter treatments, but know that
they're for pain only -- they won't treat the ingrown toenail
- Wear open-toed shoes or sandals until the condition
- If the condition worsens or doesn't improve, see a doctor
before infection sets in.
Copyright © 2011
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.