Health Tip: Unwind With Yoga02/23/11
(HealthDay News) -- Yoga may be a great way to exercise, relax
and even relieve pain.
But the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons says you can do
more harm than good if you practice yoga incorrectly. The academy
offers these suggestions:
- Talk to your doctor before trying yoga if you have an injury or
- Practice yoga with a qualified instructor who has plenty of
- Always warm up before yoga.
- Wear clothing that allows you to move freely.
- Learn proper technique and the basics of yoga. If you're not
sure of how to do something, ask questions.
- Don't push yourself too hard, and stop if you have pain.
- Drink enough water.
Copyright © 2011
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.