Health Tip: Help Prevent Carpal Tunnel
(HealthDay News) -- Carpal tunnel syndrome occurs from
repetitive use of the wrists, including activities such as typing
on a computer keyboard.
The University of Maryland Medical Center offers these
suggestions for computer users:
- Take short breaks from the keyboard throughout the day to
stretch and shake out the arms and wrists.
- When using the computer, practice good posture.
- Make sure your chair offers good support and can be adjusted
for your height.
- Consider using voice recognition software to cut down on
- Consider adding a pad to help cushion your wrists.
- Use a light touch while typing and using a mouse.
- Perform hand and wrist exercises to stretch and strengthen the
Copyright © 2011
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.