Health Tip: Help Prevent Ingrown Toenails03/29/11
(HealthDay News) -- Trim your toenails too short, and you could
be setting yourself up for a painful problem.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons says ingrown nails
-- nails that burrow beneath the skin -- also stem from failing to
cut the nails in a straight line by tapering them at the
The academy offers these suggestions for preventing ingrown
- Avoid going barefoot, or wearing shoes without socks.
- Make sure there's plenty of room inside shoes for your toes to
- Use sharp, clean nail clippers to cut toenails straight across.
Don't round the corners.
- Don't cut a nail below the end of the toe.
- Make sure your feet are always dry and clean.
Copyright © 2011
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.