Health Tip: Help Foot Ulcers Heal04/13/11
(HealthDay News) -- People with diabetes may develop sores
(ulcers) on the feet that may not heal quickly or easily.
The American Podiatric Medical Association suggests how to help
promote healing and prevent infection of diabetic foot ulcers:
- Try to avoid applying pressure to the sore.
- Have dead skin around the wound removed.
- Keep the wound clean and apply medication as needed.
- Control blood glucose levels.
- Don't walk barefoot.
- Protect the ulcer with a dressing or bandage.
Copyright © 2011
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.