Health Tip: Dealing With Anxiety05/13/11
(HealthDay News) -- Anxiety can quickly spiral out of control
and interfere with daily life.
But there are techniques that will allow you to regain control,
the American Academy of Family Physicians says. The academy offers
- Schedule 30 minutes each day to think about the things that are
concerning you. Save your worry for those designated times. Think
less about what
will happen and concern yourself more with what's happening
- Practice relaxation techniques such as muscle relaxation or
- Get plenty of regular exercise and enough sleep.
- Don't abuse drugs or drink alcohol.
- Restrict or eliminate caffeine.
- Deal with things that have caused you anxiety in the past.
Start by visualizing how you will deal with these factors. Doing so
will help you deal with them for real.
- Talk about your fears with your doctor. He or she can help you
devise a plan for how to better cope with your anxiety.
Copyright © 2011
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.