Health Tip: Overdoing Dieting or Exercise05/31/11
(HealthDay News) -- Some athletes focus too much on being thin,
pushing exercise and dieting to the extreme.
This can cause long-term health issues and end up impairing
athletic performance, the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
So how do women know if they're taking diet and exercise too
far? The academy says if you're missing menstrual periods, have a
stress fracture, or have symptoms of an eating dsorder, you should
discuss the following factors with your doctor:
- How you exercise and what you eat.
- Your age when menstruation began, and whether your periods are
- Whether you are sexually active, use birth control and have
ever been pregnant.
- If you've had a stress fracture.
- History of gaining or losing weight.
- All medications that you take.
- Any symptoms that may indicate other medical problems.
- Your family history of disease.
- Things in your life that cause stress.
Copyright © 2011
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.