Health Tip: Buy Healthy Foods on a Budget06/10/11
(HealthDay News) -- Healthy eating can get expensive, but
advance planning and budgeting can help you reign in costs without
sacrificing nutritious foods.
The American Dietetic Association lists these shopping tips for
buying healthy foods on a budget:
- Plan menus in advance, and write out a shopping list.
- Clip coupons and sign up for a rewards card at your grocery
- Buy foods cheaper in bulk, buy on sale and buy less-expensive
store brands when you can.
- Check the per-unit price to spot a better deal.
- Start by circling the perimeter of the store for the fresh
foods, then hit the middle aisles.
- Shop for fruits and vegetables that are in season, and look for
locally produced foods.
- Prioritize your menu to use up foods that will expire quickly,
and remember to store foods promptly in the refrigerator and
Copyright © 2011
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.