Health Tip: Make Sure Your Child's Shoes Fit06/17/11
(HealthDay News) -- Your little one is growing faster than you
expected, and his or her feet are no exception.
As children's shoe buying becomes a frequent ritual, the
American Podiatric Medical Association offers this advice:
- Make sure the shoes have firm heel support, a flexible sole
where the feet bend, cushioning in the insoles, and good arch
- Size the feet when the child is standing and bearing weight on
- Allow for a thumb's width between the tip of the toes and the
end of the shoe -- enough so the child can comfortably wiggle the
- Ask the child to walk around in the shoes (make sure socks are
on, too). Ask about fit and comfort, and check to see if the feet
are irritated afterward.
- Make sure the shoes don't slip off at the heel.
- Measure both feet, and buy shoes in the size that fit the
Copyright © 2011
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.