Energy Drink-Vodka Combo Nearly Kills Teen06/17/11
FRIDAY, June 17 (HealthDay News) -- The near death of a German
teenager who consumed huge amounts of energy drinks mixed with
vodka highlights the largely unrecognized danger of such beverage
combinations, researchers report.
The 17-year-old boy suffered acute kidney failure and was
hospitalized for 10 days following the incident, when he drank one
liter of vodka combined with three liters of energy drinks. He told
authorities he was trying to improve the outcome of two 100-meter
races he ran at school, after which he experienced vomiting and
dizziness and was rushed by ambulance to the hospital.
The case study is published in the July print issue of
"This is another classic case of teenage binge drinking and another warning for parents that . . . it can go to extremes and be fatal or near-fatal," said Cecile Marczinski, whose similar research on alcohol's interaction with energy drinks is published online and in the July 2011 print issue of Alcoholism: Clinical & Experimental Research. "You have no idea how intoxicated you really are, so you drink far more than you would ever consume had you not combined them. This case is a perfect example of that."
Study author Dr. Isabelle Schoffl said the boy ingested 380
grams of alcohol, 780 milligrams of caffeine and 4,600 milligrams
of taurine in the four-liter combination. Taurine is an amino acid
that helps regulate water and mineral salt levels in the blood. The
taurine seemed to overwhelm the patient's kidneys, necessitating
temporary dialysis treatments.
The fact that he was able to buy one-liter bottles of energy
drinks -- which are normally sold in smaller cans in Europe and the
United States -- suggested there was no harm to drinking such large
amounts, she wrote in the study.
The American Academy of Pediatrics issued a statement last month
that children and teens should avoid energy drinks, the hazards of
which are being increasingly scrutinized. Ready-made alcoholic
beverages with added caffeine were banned by the U.S. Food and Drug
Administration in November 2010 after a year-long review of
Marczinski noted that energy drink containers are becoming
larger, with the popular Red Bull brand now available in a nearly
17-ounce can, about twice its original size. The German boy
probably did not realize he was also consuming about 22 shots'
worth of vodka, Marczinski said, which she calculated a one-liter
"I don't think he would have done 22 shots of vodka without the [influence of] the energy drinks," said Marczinski, also an assistant professor in the psychology department at Northern Kentucky University.
Bruce Goldman, director of substance abuse services at Zucker
Hillside Hospital in Glen Oaks, N.Y., said he thinks the boy's
massive alcohol consumption posed greater risk than the energy
drinks, but the combination is doubly dangerous.
"Bottom line, anything that makes it easier for kids or young people to consume large quantities of alcohol is very dangerous," Goldman said. "To me, the danger is in the alcohol. The kids don't realize they're putting themselves at grave risk."
The Century Council has more about
Copyright © 2011
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.