Health Tip: Ease Swelling Beneath a Cast07/27/11
(HealthDay News) -- Wearing a cast or splint requires special
care to help a broken bone heal.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these
- Make sure the cast or splint stays dry.
- Don't put weight on a walking cast until the cast has
completely hardened and dried.
- Take care to prevent sand, powder and dirt from getting between
the cast and skin.
- Don't remove padding from the cast or splint.
- Never use an object to reach beneath the cast to scratch. Don't
apply powder or deodorant on itchy skin beneath a cast.
- Never break off pieces of the cast.
- Regularly inspect the cast for soft spots. Check surrounding
skin for signs of irritation. If you find either of these problems,
contact your doctor.
Copyright © 2011
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.