Health Tip: Get the Right Fit for Athletic
(HealthDay News) -- Wearing properly-fitted athletic shoes can
keep your feet comfy during a workout and help reduce the risk of
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these
suggestions for choosing athletic shoes:
- Shop for shoes when your feet are their largest -- either at
the end of the day or after a workout.
- Try on shoes with the same type of sock that you'll wear when
- Make sure you can easily wiggle your toes, and that the shoes
are comfortable when you try them on.
- Run or walk several steps in the shoes to make sure they're
- Properly lace shoes when you try them on.
- Make sure the shoes firmly grip your heels and don't slip off
when you're walking or running.
- Choose a sports-specific shoe if you participate in a
particular sport at least three times per week.
Copyright © 2011
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.