Health Tip: Protect Kids With Life Jackets08/23/11
(HealthDay News) -- Anytime a child is swimming or boating on a
lake, river or stream, he or she should don a life jacket.
The American Academy of Pediatrics offers these suggestions for
- Make sure your child knows how to put on a life jacket.
- Be sure your child is comfortable wearing and using the life
- Ensure the life jacket fits correctly and snugly, and that all
buckles are properly fastened.
- Make sure all life jackets are approved by Underwriters
Laboratories and the U.S. Coast Guard.
- Never use blow-up water wings, a raft or inflatable toy in
place of a life jacket.
- Make sure all adults also wear life jackets to set a good
Copyright © 2011
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.