Health Tip: Caring For an Enlarged Prostate09/01/11
(HealthDay News) -- As men age, it's common to develop an
enlarged prostate, which can cause symptoms that include slowed
urination, painful urination and a strong and sudden urge to
The U.S. National Library of Medicine suggests how to manage
mild symptoms of an enlarged prostate:
- Go to the bathroom often, and urinate as soon as you feel the
- Restrict caffeine and alcohol, particularly after dinner.
- Restrict fluids within two hours of bedtime, and spread out
fluid intake throughout the day.
- Avoid over-the-counter medications that contain antihistamines
or decongestants, which can worsen symptoms.
- Get regular exercise and try to stay warm.
- Limit stress when possible.
Copyright © 2011
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.