Health Tip: Ease In-Flight Ear Pain09/21/11
(HealthDay News) -- Flying can cause discomfort in the ears, and
can be especially painful to children with an ear infection.
The Nemours Foundation suggests these ways to help alleviate a
child's ear pain during takeoff or landing, when changes in
pressure are most likely to trigger ear pain:
- Offer plenty of water or other decaffeinated drinks.
- Give your child acetaminophen or ibuprofen about 30 minutes
before takeoff or landing.
- If your child is at least 3 years old, offer a piece of gum or
- Offer a baby a bottle or pacifier, or breast-feed.
- Encourage your child to yawn often.
- Keep your child awake during takeoff and landing, and encourage
Copyright © 2011
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.