Health Tip: Causes of Failure to Thrive in
(HealthDay News) -- "Failure to thrive" occurs among infants who
don't grow and gain weight as quickly as they should.
The Nemours Foundation mentions these possible causes of failure
- Parents aren't feeding babies enough food or frequently
- Medical conditions such as GERD, celiac disease or cystic
- A physical abnormality such as a cleft lip that makes it
difficult for a child to eat.
- A medical condition, such as a cardiac, respiratory or
- A milk protein intolerance.
- An infection.
- A metabolic disorder that affects how a baby breaks down and
Copyright © 2011
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.