Health Tip: Help Keep Kids Safe on the
(HealthDay News) -- The Internet holds vast amounts of
information that can help kids with school projects and allow them
to play interactive games.
But it's important for parents to carefully monitor which sites
their kids are visiting.
The Nemours Foundation offers these guidelines for parents:
- Learn how to use a computer and how to invoke parental
controls, such as blocking certain websites.
- Keep the family computer in a shared area where you can watch
your kids online.
- Maintain access to your child's email account, and surf the web
together to teach your child safe and appropriate behavior.
- Keep favorite safe sites bookmarked.
- Check your phone and credit card bills regularly for any
- Make sure your child knows that chat rooms and other unsafe
areas are off-limits.
- Report to law enforcement any inappropriate messages that your
child receives online.
Copyright © 2011
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.