Health Tip: Focus on Preconception Health11/10/11
(HealthDay News) -- Taking steps to better your health before
you or your partner becomes pregnant can help ensure a healthier
The womenshealth.gov website offers this preconception
- Take a daily supplement that contains at least 400 micrograms
to 800 micrograms of folic acid.
- Quit drinking alcohol and smoking.
- Make sure any chronic health condition, such as diabetes,
asthma, epilepsy or obesity, is well-controlled.
- Get any necessary vaccinations.
- Discuss any over-the-counter or prescription medications that
you're taking with your doctor.
- Stay away from toxic substances.
- Avoid animal feces that could lead to infection.
Copyright © 2011
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.