Health Tip: The Risks of Smoking While
(HealthDay News) -- Smoking can cause serious complications
during pregnancy, and can cause life-threatening problems for a
The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention lists these
complications -- for mother and child -- that can occur from
smoking during pregnancy:
- Increased difficulty getting pregnant.
- Increased risk of miscarriage.
- Increased risk of placental problems, low birth weight and
- Increased risk of sudden infant death syndrome.
- Increased risk of heart defects, cleft lip or cleft
Copyright © 2011
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.