Health Tip: Risk Factors for Varicose Veins12/20/11
(HealthDay News) -- Varicose veins are swollen, bulging and
often painful veins that tend to occur in the legs.
Are you more likely than the average person to develop them? The
womenshealth.gov website mentions these risk factors:
- Aging, due to declining function of vascular valves.
- Having a family history of varicose veins.
- Undergoing hormonal changes due to pregnancy, puberty or
- Being pregnant.
- Being overweight or obese.
- Being too sedentary.
- Exposing skin to the sun.
Copyright © 2011
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.