Health Tip: Prevent Falls During Holiday
(HealthDay News) -- Whether you're decorating your home or
climbing to stash holiday packages, take care to avoid falls.
Falls are a leading cause of injury among older people. The
American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons suggests how you can help
- If you use a ladder, make sure it's of the correct type and
height for the job.
- Check out the ladder before use to make sure there is no damage
and nothing is broken.
- Carry the ladder carefully.
- Place the ladder in a stable, safe position before you start
- Take care to hold onto the rails, avoid standing on the top
rung and don't reach too far to the side.
- Do not climb a ladder if you feel tired or dizzy, or have been
Copyright © 2011
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.