Health Tip: Footcare Suggestions for Diabetics01/03/12
(HealthDay News) -- Two common complications of diabetes are
nerve damage and poor circulation, which make foot problems common
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these
footcare suggestions for people with diabetes:
- Avoid walking barefoot to reduce the risk of injury.
- Carefully wash your feet with warm water and gentle soap each
day, making sure the water isn't too hot and that you carefully dry
- Moisturize the skin on your feet frequently.
- Keep toenails trimmed. Cut them straight across to help prevent
- Avoid using over-the-counter medications, antiseptic solutions,
anything sharp or heating pads on your feet.
- Keep your feet warm at all times.
- Don't smoke.
Copyright © 2012
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.