Health Tip: Practice Sledding Safety01/04/12
(HealthDay News) -- Sledding down a slippery slope at home or a
nearby field is a past-time that makes kids look forward to winter.
But thousands are injured each year in sledding accidents.
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons offers these
suggestions for safe sledding:
- Make sure children are protected with a properly-fitting
- Make sure the sled has and a reliable method of steering. Avoid
snow disks or toboggans.
- If sledding while it's dark outside, make sure the area is well
- Never sled on a plastic sheet or other material that can be
punctured by objects on the ground.
- Wear many layers of clothing while sledding for protection from
injury and cold weather.
Copyright © 2012
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.