Health Tip: Make Low-Cholesterol Salad Choices01/10/12
(HealthDay News) -- A salad isn't automatically a healthier
option. With high-fat dressings and toppings, even a salad can
wreck your healthy eating plans.
The Cleveland Clinic offers these suggestions for tossing a
- Skip higher-fat toppings such as croutons, bacon bits, creamy
dressings, eggs and cheese.
- Add healthy protein to your salad in the form of nuts, beans
- Skip the dressing, and instead add a squeeze of lemon.
- If you want dressing, order it on the side, dipping your fork
lightly into the dressing before spearing your salad.
- Opt for dressings that are fat-free or low-fat.
Copyright © 2012
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.