Health Tip: Help Calm a Cough01/23/12
(HealthDay News) -- If you're plagued with a cold or another
respiratory illness that's causing a cough, there are things you
can do to help tame the beast.
The National Heart Lung and Blood Institute offers these
suggestions to help calm a cough:
- Quit smoking.
- Steer clear of substances that can irritate the lungs and
worsen a cough, such as air pollution, tobacco smoke, allergens and
- Take all medications as prescribed by your doctor.
- Follow your doctor's treatment plan.
- Take cough medicine, if recommended by your doctor.
- Run a cool-mist humidifier or steam vaporizer.
Copyright © 2012
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.