Health Tip: Keep Heartburn Under Control02/01/12
(HealthDay News) -- Heartburn is the most common symptom of
gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD), which occurs when the
acidic contents of the stomach back up into the esophagus.
The American Gastroenterological Association offers these
suggestions to help you control heartburn and GERD:
- Skip beverages or foods that tend to trigger heartburn.
- Stick to small meals, and eat at least two to three hours
before you lie down.
- Raise the head of your bed about four to six inches.
- Lose any extra pounds.
- Skip tight clothing and exercises that may increase abdominal
pressure, such as sit-ups.
- If you're a smoker, quit.
Copyright © 2012
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.