Health Tip: Choosing the Right Athletic Shoes03/06/12
(HealthDay News) -- Wearing the proper athletic shoes for your
sport or exercise can help protect you against discomfort and
The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons says you should pay
attention to these features when shopping for athletic shoes:
- Shoes for aerobic exercise need sufficient shock absorption,
cushioning, a flexible sole and enough stability.
- Shoes for court sports need a good sole that is specific to
- Shoes for field sports need cleats, spikes or studs, and a
- Winter-sport shoes should have a snug fit and plenty of ankle
- Track and field shoes depend on the sport, so it's important to
ask your coach about proper shoes.
- Specialty-sport shoes should fit according to the sport -- for
instance, cycling shoes should fit snugly.
- Outdoor-sport shoes need warmth, good tread and plenty of
Copyright © 2012
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.