Health Tip: Keep Toenails Healthy03/27/12
(HealthDay News) -- Ingrown toenails and nail fungus are just a
couple of foot problems that may be prevented with proper care.
The American Podiatric Medical Association suggests how to help
keep your feet and toes healthy:
- Keep feet clean and dry, washing frequently with water and
- Properly trim your toenails, cutting them straight across.
- Change socks and shoes frequently.
- Wear shower shoes when in a public facility.
- Inspect your feet regularly for wounds or signs of
- Make sure shoes fit properly, and wear socks made of synthetic
materials instead of cotton, which tends to retain moisture.
- Don't wear hosiery that is too tight.
- Avoid polishing toenails that appear infected. Always disinfect
any instruments used on your feet or nails.
Copyright © 2012
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.