Health Tip: Help Prevent Foot and Ankle
(HealthDay News) -- The feet and ankles, supporting the weight
of the rest of your body, are prime targets for painful injuries.
But many can be prevented.
The American Podiatric Medical Association suggests how to help
prevent injuries of the foot or ankle:
- Wear shoes designed for your activity.
- When you're on rough or uneven ground, wear hiking boots or
- Throw out sports shoes that aren't worn evenly.
- If wearing steel-toe shoes, make sure the toe box is wide
enough to be comfortable.
- Wear shoes with hard tops when you are using a lawn mower or
other yard equipment.
- Always wear shoes when walking on paved surfaces.
- Avoid slippery floors.
- Don't walk around in the dark.
Copyright © 2012
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.