Health Tip: Managing a Hammertoe05/04/12
(HealthDay News) -- A hammertoe occurs when the toe muscle bends
the toe at the first joint, making the side view of the toe
resemble an upside down "v".
The American Podiatric Medical Association suggests how to
relieve the pain and discomfort of a hammertoe:
- Apply a non-medicated hammertoe pad on the bony area.
- Wear loose-fitting shoes with plenty of room in the toes.
- Place an ice pack several times a day on the toe.
- Don't wear heels that are taller than 2 inches.
- Visit a podiatrist if your hammertoe still causes pain.
Copyright © 2012
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.