Health Tip: If You or Your Child Have a Food Allergy09/25/12
(HealthDay News) -- If you have a food allergy or sensitivity,
it means your immune system is reacting against a substance it
believes could harm you.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers this advice for
people with a food allergy or food sensitivity:
- Work with a registered dietitian to help figure out which foods
you should avoid, while making sure you don't become
- Read food labels carefully, checking for ingredients to
- Double-check ingredient labels even when you've purchased a
food before, in case ingredients have changed.
- Check the labels on cosmetics and body care products, as they
may contain allergy-causing ingredients.
- Make sure all child-care providers are informed of your child's
food allergy, and that they know what to do if there is a
Copyright © 2012
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.