Health Tip: Treat a Toddler to a Picnic09/28/12
(HealthDay News) -- If your child balks at sitting at the table,
why not take it on the road? Treating your toddler to a picnic can
encourage healthier eating and outdoor activity.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers these
- Don't worry about planning a long car trip -- a picnic in the
backyard, or the living room floor (during bad weather) will do
- Cut sandwiches into fun shapes, or decorate them with a face
from fruits or veggies.
- Make a meal out of an array of fresh fruits and veggies, and
serve them with some dip.
- Offer plenty of fluids, but stick to cold water with a few
slices of fruit in it to add flavor without sugar and empty
- If you are driving to your picnic, make sure all perishables
are packed in a cooler.
- Plan lots of fun activities to keep your child happy, laughing
and moving. Schedule a game of duck-duck-goose, tag or kickball
well after lunch.
Copyright © 2012
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.