Health Tip: Caring for an Older Person's Teeth10/03/12
(HealthDay News) -- As people age and have trouble caring for
themselves, they may also struggle to care for their mouths and
The American Dental Association offers these tips for people who
care for seniors:
- Remind them to brush and floss their teeth daily.
- If they have trouble brushing or flossing, a dentist or
hygienist should be able to offer suggestions.
- Schedule regular dental checkups.
- Consider possible denture problems if you notice changes in an
older person's eating habits.
- Don't neglect an older person's dental care, since bacteria
from the mouth ultimately can trigger pneumonia.
Copyright © 2012
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.