Health Tip: Starting Baby on Solid Foods10/08/12
(HealthDay News) -- It may seem like a daunting challenge to
move baby from breast- or bottle-feeding to solid foods.
The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics offers this advice to
help ease the transition:
- Choose foods with textures that are easier for baby to
- Start off by feeding baby while sitting on your lap. Then
gradually transition to a safe high chair.
- Make sure baby sits in a well-supported, upright position so
baby can easily explore the food.
- Make sure baby sits up straight and looks straight ahead to
reduce choking risk.
- Speak in a quiet, calm and encouraging voice while baby eats.
Avoid overstimulating the infant.
Copyright © 2012
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.