Health Tip: Avoid Spreading Pinkeye10/11/12
(HealthDay News) -- Pinkeye, or conjunctivitis, is a highly
contagious infection that causes eye redness, discharge and
The Nemours Foundation suggests how parents and children can
help prevent the infection's spread:
- Teach your child to wash hands with soap and water frequently
- Never let children share eye drops, pillow cases,
towels/washcloths, tissues or eye makeup.
- After you've treated an infected child's eyes, immediately and
carefully wash your own hands.
- Safely discard any gauze or cotton balls used to clean your
- Wash your child's linens in very hot water separately from the
rest of the family's laundry.
- For children who get allergic conjunctivitis, frequently vacuum
your home, and keep windows closed when outdoor allergen counts are
Copyright © 2012
. All rights reserved.
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.